Tuesday, December 13, 2011

"The Lottery" By Shirley Jackson

"Tessie Hutchinson was in the center of a cleared space by now, and she held her hands out desperately as the villagers moved in on her. 'It isn't fair,' she said. A stone hit her on the side of the head" (page 271).

After reading this story, I really tried to figure out the significance as to what the 'lottery' was. After much thought, I realized that the 'lottery' is actually something that people don't want to win. If a person receives the lottery in this story (aka the black dot), then that person is to be killed. I find this incredibly ironic because in real life, people WANT to win the lottery. Here, it is casted as a terrible thing. When I first read that the story was title 'The Lottery,' I expected a person to win the lottery and to have a happy ending. I honestly am not very surprised. These short stories are killing me because I am a hopeless romantic who loves fairytales. These short stories that we've read over the past couple weeks are crushing my dreams of fairytales, and this just makes me sad. A scapegoat is an innocent being who is blamed for another person's fault. Tessie is the scapegoat in this story because she did nothing wrong, but the town decided to kill her nonetheless. This story kind of reminds me of the story of Jesus. Okay, yes, I always tie things back to my faith, but my faith is the one thing that I love to talk about. Jesus was the chosen one. He came into this world as a human, like everyone else. Even though He didn't do anything wrong, He still was chosen to be killed. It is sad, but He had to live a painful death. Was it fair? No, but He had to do it for the benefit of all. I don't know what the probability was for someone to die in this story, but I am just upset that Tessie had to be innocently killed. (It also freaks me out that her name is very similar to mine, and she was stoned to death.... I do not like these tragic ends to short stories! I want a cute love story where everyone lives happily ever after!)

No comments:

Post a Comment