Wednesday, November 2, 2011

"How I Met My Husband" by Alic Munro: Thoughts..................

"I wasn't even old enough then to realize how out of the common it is, for a man to say something like that to a woman, or somebody he is treating like a woman. For a man to say a word like beautiful. I wasn't old enough to realize or to say anything back, or in fact to do anything but wish he would go away. Not that I didn't like him, but just that it upset me so, having him look at me, and me trying to think of something to say" (page 135).

When I first read this story, I could not help but think that this story is so typical of how society is as a whole. So many of us are just living to find that one person to love. And even when someone comes along, we look at them as potential. For instance, when Edie first met Chris, she was reminded with the guilt of how he saw her when she put on Mrs. Peebles' dress. This caused her not to like him because he made her worried. However, she became lost in the moment with him at the tent. Even though she did kind of like him before, this moment was icing on the cake. She was now attached to him because someone showed interest in her. She waited and waited on that letter, even though Chris was not the perfect man for her. Chris was not faithful to his fiance; why would he be faithful to her?! Nevertheless, Edie still felt strongly for him. As a reader, I really wanted Edie to be with Chris because the entire story is basically centered around him and the title is "How I Met My Husband." I just assumed that it was all leading up to Chris and Edie falling in love. However, the story took another turn and she ended up falling in love with the mailman. I couldn't help but think that Edie just settled for this guy. She didn't really want to be with him, but she went for him when she lost all hope in Chris. The mailman was her second choice. It's not to say that Edie didn't eventually fall in love with the mailman because there's a high chance that she did. All that I'm saying, though, is that we, as a society, must fight for what we love in order to be happy in the end. We might not be able to achieve what we want, but we should at least aim high and not settle for less than what we want.

No comments:

Post a Comment