Wednesday, November 2, 2011

"How I Met My Husband" by Alice Munro

"As for me, I put it all out of my mind like a bad dream and concentrated on waiting for my letter. The mail came every day except Sunday, between one-thirty and two in the afternoon, a good time for me because Mrs. Peebles was always having her nap. I would get the kitchen all cleaned and then go up to the mailbox and sit in the grass, waiting" (page 145).

The plot structure of this short story is kind of told as a flashback. The story goes in chronological order, but it takes awhile for the narrator to get to her points. She goes into so much detail, almost detracting from the story. Also, the story is filled with so much suspense about how the narrator met her husband. As a reader, I truly felt that the story would be about how Edie met and fell in love with Chris. She focused so much on how she met Chris and their random conversations that I naturally felt that the story would be about him. The diverting plot structure matches the overall theme of the story because the narrator tells backstories to get to her main purpose: how she met her husband, the mailman. Yes, the ending threw me for a loop, but it just goes with the overall theme for the story. Everything led up to how she met her husband; it just took me awhile to finally comprehend that her husband was NOT Chris. The minor characters like Loretta Bird and Mrs. Peebles help advance the plot because their accusations get the truth out of Edie. Because Edie comes clean, the whole fiasco happens and eventually Edie meets someone else. I feel that they also add some comic relief and maybe a breath of fresh air. They bring Edie to her senses and open her eyes to how the world really is instead of her own little bubble.

No comments:

Post a Comment