Monday, February 6, 2012

"Jessie's Girl": Rick Springfield parallels with Roderigo

I was trying to think of a good comparison for Othello, and I almost did another song about Jesus and how he was betrayed by Judas. However, I just did a blog about that. I wanted to do something different. I also have only really hit on Desdemona, Emilia, Othello, and Iago. It was time to talk about someone different. Then, it hit me. The song "Jesse's Girl" by Rick Springfield ties into this story perfectly. Roderigo wants Desdemona. At the beginning of the story, the audience is informed that Roderigo previously asked Brabantio if he (Roderigo) could marry Desdemona. Roderigo is simply confused as to why Desdemona would marry a Moor when she could have him! These lyrics completely correspond with this:
Jessie is a friend,
yeah, I know he's been
a good friend of mine
But lately something's changed
that ain't hard to define
Jessie's got himself a girl
and I want to make her mine
This would basically be Roderigo speaking of Othello. "Jesse's girl" in this instance would be Desdemona. However, as the song went on, I started thinking that it was Othello speaking of Cassio and Desdemona. For example, the song goes:
And she's watching him with those eyes
And she's lovin' him with that body,
I just know it
Yeah 'n' he's holding her
in his arms late,
late at night.

This is basically Othello speaking of Desdemona and Cassio. He assumes that the two of them are having sexual relations, and it is driving him nuts. This song is all about jealousy about how one man wants someone else's girl. This, essentially, is one of the root causes of the tragedy of Othello. Iago knows what he wants, and the only way to get inside of Othello's head is convince him that something is going on between Cassio and Desdemona. Jealousy drives the world nuts, but we always want what we do not have.

Here are the links to this song / lyrics. Again, I thoroughly enjoyed this story because of how relatable and applicable it is to life in general.

http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/boogienightsvol2/jessiesgirl.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment