Thursday, February 2, 2012

Act V Blog for Othello

"Nobody, I myself. Farewell. Commend me to my kind lord. Oh, farewell!" (V.ii.122-123)

What an intriguing story! Wow. Shakespeare truly amazed me with this work. Like previous blogs I have created, I want to relate the similarities of this story to my faith. I found it very ironic that Othello kissed his wife before he killed her. Othello was corrupted by Iago, and then Othello killed his innocent wife. Similarly, Judas was corrupted by the devil, and then he killed the most innocent of all, Jesus. Othello proved to us he truly was a good man in the first half of the play. He was good and pure. As the story went on, Iago started to get inside of his head. Similarly, Judas was a good disciple of Jesus. As his story went on, he became more and more corrupted by the devil. The rest is history. Also, I was incredibly surprised that Emilia was a dynamic character in this story. At first, I thought that she would be the devil's advocate. I thought that she supported her husband's work and stood behind him because she was his wife. However, not only was Iago, Roderigo, and Cassio deceived by Iago, but Emilia was as well. She helped Iago with the master plan and did not even know it! Finally, I found it ironic that Roderigo's pockets got him into this mess. He had the handkerchief in his pocket. Later, the letter is in his pocket and he reveals the doom. I am thoroughly surprised with the ending of this story, but it all makes sense with the symbolism of jealousy and honesty. Iago is alive because he stood his ground and could be clever enough to work over people. However, he is imprisoned and rightfully so. His imprisonment represents how he did people wrong. Othello lost his sense of self, so this is symbolic of his tragic death. Othello's suicide is symbolic because he did himself wrong. Cassio remains alive because he is the only one who remained honest and never did wrong or harm to anyone. Overall, a wonderful story, and I feel more in touch with the inner mindworks of William Shakespeare. Bravo!

No comments:

Post a Comment