Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Act IV Othello (second blog)

"Get me some poison, Iago, this night. I'll not expostulate with her, lest her body and beauty unprovide my mind again. This night, Iago" (IV. i. 188-190).

Okay, this is becoming too much. Othello is becoming obsessed with the thought that Desdemona is having an affair and this is not even true! Gahhhhhhhhhh! I find it incredibly ironic that Desdemona is casted as an innocent beauty whenever she talks to Othello. However, Othello uses this as proof that she is being a whore. Um, excuse me! Innocence and purity do not equal prostitute! Desdemona even says, "I am a Christian. If to preserve this vessel for my lord from any other foul unlawful touch be not to be a strumpet, I am none" (IV.ii. 81-85). This just epitomizes her innocence and purity, but alas, Othello will have nothing of it. He repeatedly keeps calling her a "devil." He started out this play treating her like an angel and worshipping the ground that she walked on. Now, he says the most disrespectful things toward her. For instance, "I cry you mercy, then. I took you for that cunning whore of Venice that married with Othello. You mistress, that have the office opposite to Saint Peter, and keep the gate of Hell!" (IV.ii. 88-92). Iago is not helping the situation because he keeps instilling the thoughts into Othello's head. However, this just shows how insecure Othello truly is. He does not trust his wife at all. Obviously the love between Othello and Desdemona is not as strong as they let off in the beginning. The trust is not strong enough to have a lasting relationship of love. I'm just preparing myself for the death of one of them. I don't want to get too attached to the characters because someone is not gonna make it. Who will it be????????

No comments:

Post a Comment