Thursday, January 26, 2012

Act III; Othello, the Moor of Venice

"Why, why is this? Think'st thou I'd make a life of jealousy, To follow still the changes of the moon With fresh suspicions? No, to be once in doubt Is once to be resolved. Exchange me for a goat When I shall turn the business of my soul To such exsufflicate and blown surmises, Matching thy inference" (III.iii.176-183).

The jealousy becomes even more evident in this act. In scene one, Cassio and a clown kind of play off of each other, but Cassio reveals information about himself. It makes me think that Cassio is the only true "honest" character of the play. Everyone else, especially Iago, kind of puts on a facade as to who they really are. Like we talked about in class, this just confirms for me that Iago and Cassio are foil characters. Iago just continues to make matters worse by making up lies about Cassio. This just bothered me. Cassio doesn't talk in his sleep! Cassio didn't take the handkerchief: Iago did. I hate that Iago keeps setting people up. What makes me even more upset is the fact that Iago made Othello believe that there is something going on between Cassio and Desdemona. This is ridiculous because this is a drama over essentially nothing. Everyone just needs to calm down! However, I really should not be surprised. This is a Shakespeare play by the way. Many of the tragedies are simply misunderstandings. For instance, Julius Caesar had Brutus kill Caesar when Caesar had not even had the chance to anything wrong yet. He was killed for really no reason. People thought that he might become a tyrant, but he wasn't a tyrant at the point that they killed him. That's just ridiculous. What about Romeo and Juliet? Both of the lovers kill themselves because they thought that the other had died. If they had just woken up and smelled the coffee, they would have realized the misunderstanding. This is why this story is making me frustrated because Othello really should not be freaking out about Desdemona and Cassio because NOTHING is going on. All this drama is unnecessary. It makes the stories so good, yes. However, from a reader's perspective, it just makes me want to throw my hands up into the air and scream, "Ah! Why? No! Just talk to the people and figure out the truth!" However, I am not a character in these stories, so I just have to sit back, read it, and cry at the ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment