Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Othello Act IV

"I durst, my lord, to wager she is honest, lay down my soul at stake. If you think other, remove your thought, it doth abuse your bosom." (IV.ii.12-14)

Wow! What an interesting act! How do I even put this into words? Maybe I should start with the grammatical side of things. William Shakespeare still has a few characters talking in prose, but this is mainly just to have characters prove a higher intelligence than others. Irony simply engulfs this act. It is making me aggravated. Honestly, Othello is gonna kill someone. He smacked Desdomona, for Pete's sake! I can just sense the foreshadowing. Complete chaos is going on, and again, it's unneeded. I thought that it would calm down in this act, but no. Things just got even more heated. And Iago is just soaking it all in? What is this?! Symbolism is also getting even more integrated into this act. For instance, the handkerchief (in my mind) symbolizes Othello's feelings for Desdomona. When the handkerchief was put in the possession of others, Othello's mind is all discombobulated. This leads to Othello questioning his relationship with Desdemona. Gah. Chaos, chaos, chaos. I can't handle it.

No comments:

Post a Comment