Thursday, September 29, 2011

"Getting Out" by Cleopatra Mathis

"Finally locked into blame, we paced that short hall, heaving words like furniture."

After reading this poem, I couldn't help but think that this world is filled with so much hatred. It kind of makes me sick. The second stanza contains a lot of nouns and not many verbs. It's kind of confusing. Also, after reading this, I'm getting the sense that maybe the central theme is focused around divorce or the end of relationship. The theme, at least how I saw it, was all about getting angry, saying hurtful things, and eventually everything will work out. This couple has their love constantly fluctuating because of the making of amends. At least I think they made amends. That's what I thought of when I read the phrase "taking hands we walked apart, until our arms stretched between us. We held on tight, and let go." I feel that there are scars weighing down their relationship, but they will always be a part of the others' life. The poem doesn't have a set rhyming pattern, which actually makes it flow a little more instead of being the choppy rhyme scheme. Perhaps the "unshredded pictures" represent that they are not mad at each other. However, I just wonder if feelings were mutual because they "heaved words like furniture" at each other. I guess that we all just say things when we are upset. The tone of the poem is kind of indifferent. It's kind of a rollercoaster of emotions about how they had "tightened hearts" and "blamed" each other, but it ends with parting with a sense of longing. I feel that the speaker doesn't really know how he feels about the situation; he is just telling the story of their lives together.

No comments:

Post a Comment