Wednesday, September 14, 2011

"The Joy of Cooking" by Elaine Magarrell

This poem is slightly disturbing. I read it and was utterly repulsed by it. However, when I reread it, I realized that it was infused with symbolic instead of literal meaning. The narrator, or shall I say the "cook," is using cooking terminology in order to get back at her siblings. For example, the narrator says, "I have prepared my sister's tongue, scrubbed nad skinned it, trimmed the roots, small bones, and gristle." To me, I think that this means that the narrator's siblings are getting on her last nerve. She wants to hurt them and "plots" against them. Personally, I think that she is secretly planning plots against them in her head and not in real life. The narrator has a different motive: she is trying to let us in on her siblings true personalities.

For example, when the narrator says that her sister's tongue "will probably grow back," the narrator could be implying that his sister has an incredibly big mouth. In the second stanza, the narrator is talking about his brother's heart, "which is firm and rather dry." This implies that the narrator's brother has a strong heart (strong-willed, maybe?). However, the brother could be self-centered and selfish because of his "dry" heart. Also, the narrator says that "although beef heart serves six, my brother's heart barely feeds two." This is showing that his brother has no passion behind what he does. His brother doesn't have heart, and maybe the narrator was just having an off day. I am concerned, though, for the safety of the narrator's siblings. I just hope that this person is kidding because cannibalism is just disgusting. Serving a person's siblings skin and bone with "sour sauce" is unethical and disappointing that his relationship with his siblings is not substantially true love. This is the case for many siblings, for if they were not siblings, they would not even be acquaintances.

No comments:

Post a Comment