Thursday, September 29, 2011

"My Mistress' Eyes" by William Shakespeare

"My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun; Coral is far more red than her lips' red..."

After first reading this poem, I was initially confused as to what the central theme of the poem is supposed to be. I believe that the speaker is trying to say that nothing is more beautiful than the features of the woman he loves. However, something is telling me that the speaker is trying to say that his mistress' eyes are dull compared to the sun, that her lips her bland compared to coral. All of this imagery has gotten me confused. Is he more captivated by the beauty of creation or the beauty of his mistress? Or both? The tone of the poem is almost overreaching. The speaker seems to be grasping at a beauty that he cannot possess himself. Also, the imagery of the poem is decorated with colorful language. For example, Shakespeare scribes specific words such as "red coral" "white snow" "black wires" "white and red roses", just to name a few. This imagery allows the colors and descriptions to be even more vivid. The sense of sight is essential to this poem, and these visual pictures depict the exact images of the mistress and creation behind her. I'm just confused about the purpose and theme of the poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment