Wednesday, September 7, 2011

"Spring" by Gerald Manley Hopkins

This poem makes me happy; it makes me think of hope. The poem almost brings me back to my days of being a little girl, pretending like the world is mine. It's almost like spring is like earth's awakening to heaven. "The ear" is the human's response to sounds in nature. For example, people become attuned with the sound of birds chirping when they're outside. And I love how the pear tree leaves' "brush" is like the whishy-washy sound of leaves rustling in the wind. We ruin the beauty of creation with our sins. Spring is the "innocent mind" of creation. It brings out our inner childlike side, and apparently spring is more than a season: it's a gift from God.

With all the references to God, I am getting the vibe that the author is a devout Catholic author. "Thrush" is apparently some type of blackbird, although I have never heard of this before. I love how "juice and joy" are incorporated into this poem. And I feel that it's within reason, too. For example, when I think of juice, I think of fruit and seeds and whatnot. Fruits flower in the spring, and from these fruits come delicious juices and even joy. However, the author is kind of adamant that spring is the best aspect of life, for he says "nothing is so beautiful as spring." This is kind of a matter of opinion. The "descending blue" is obviously the beautiful sky. God has definitely blessed us with the most beautiful wonders of creation, and these are evident during spring time. However, we ruin and "sour them with sinning." I think that the poem is asking us to change our ways order to preserve the goodness of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment