Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Frankenstein: Is Frankenstein innocent?

"I feel myself justified in desiring the death of my adversary... nor do I find it blameable. I created a being to assure in my power his happiness and well-being." (page 161).

I find it funny the way that one will tell a story. Whoever is telling the story will put his own spin on things to make the listener (or the reader) side with him. When the creature was telling the story, I almost felt as if i could hear an orchestra playing really sad music in the background. No one was there for him, no one loved him, he was all alone, etc. I heard it all. And all of this was true. But from Frankenstein's perspective, the creature was the devil. The creature was ruining his life. Frankenstein felt innocent, but so did the creature. Both of them felt justified in their actions for how they were wronged by the other. So, who is right here? Who is really innocent in this case? In Frankenstein's defense, he made the creature because he was curious about how to animate a human frame. The creature was of enormous stature and scared the bajeebies out of him, so he naturally ran away from the unknown. He loved his family and Elizabeth, and the creature destroyed everything. Aw, poor Frankenstein.

However, in the creature's defense, no one took care of it. It was left ALL alone. It had to celebrate its birthdays by itself. It was ugly and scary-looking and everyone hated it because they got to know it. Victor destroyed its only potential mate. How sad! However, the creature was also not justified in its actions. As bad as I felt for the creature, it should have never killed off Frankenstein's family or Elizabeth. I guess that's just my perspective though. I wish that everyone could just get along and "do unto others as they would like to be treated." However, I just don't think that the characters in this book would ever understand that concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment