Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Frankenstein: Nature vs. Nurture

"I was their plaything and their idol, and something better- their child, the innocent and helpless creature bestowed on them by Heaven, whom to bring up to good, and whose future lot it was in their hands to direct to happiness or misery, according as they fulfilled their duties towards me." (page 16).

I have saved this blog for last because I have more to say about this topic than any of the other four blogs I created previous to this one. I simply want to parallel the lives of Frankenstein and his creature. Frankenstein created the creature, hoping to make the creature like himself. I love this quote because it ties everything together. Frankenstein was raised by parents who idolized him when he was born. They showered him with love and his childhood was like one from the gods. He was raised with hopes and dreams and just wanted to make his parents proud because they did so much for him. The creature, however, wasn't raised at all. It was incredibly neglected and had to learn how to figure out its senses on its own. It is just sad. Also, I found the quote on page 69 to be very powerful as well. The creature says, "If the multitude of mankind knew of my existence, they would do as you do, and arm themselves for my destruction. Shall I not then hate them who abhor me? I will keep no terms with my enemies. I am miserable, and they shall share my wretchedness." The only the creature has been shown is hatred. It only makes sense that the creature would respond with hatred as well. It's similar to the issue of child soldiers. Children in many countries are being forced to fight. They are killing others with weapons. This is simply absurd. Why are we instilling the act of fighting into these kids' minds? The kids don't know any better. This is just like the creature. He doesn't know any better than to treat others with kindness. Everyone is afraid of him, so of course he would be like this. I found another parallel between Frankenstein and the creature. Frankenstein said, "My temper was sometimes violent and my passions vehement; but by some law in my temeperament they were turned not towards childish pursuits but to an eager desire to learn." (page 19) The creature is like this too. Even though the creature was raised in a different environment, their personality qualities are very similar. They way they act around humans is different, though, due to how they were raised. Both Frankenstein and the creature have issues with anger. However, both crave to learn more. The creature wants to learn how to communicate with others to allow others to love him. Frankenstein craves to learn how to find cures for illnesses. The parallels are everywhere, and honestly, even though I find Frankenstein and the creature to essentially be the same being, I love the creature more. The creature may be a savage, but he has a heart. Frankenstein is just a guy who is afraid of life itself and whines the whole time about how horrible his life is. His miseries are nothing in comparison to the creatures, in my opinion. Frankenstein kind of brought his miseries upon himself. If he would have cared for the creature like he should have, the complications in Frankenstein's life would be few. William would still be alive. Justine would still be alive. Frankenstein's life would be different if he just would have taken care of the innocent creature.

No comments:

Post a Comment