Monday, April 30, 2012

The Great Gatsby: Betrayal

"He was astounded. His mouth opened a little and he looked at Gatsby and then back at Daisy as if he had just recognized her as someone he knew a long time ago." (page 125)

The irony of this quote simply makes me laugh. Tom is so upset that Daisy would cheat on him. Who is he? Jesus? I don't think so! Why would he be upset when he is doing the same thing to his wife with Myrtle?! This just makes me angry, and honestly, it makes me annoyed. He, a man, is allowed to cheat on his woman whenever he feels it necessary. But his wife is not allowed to cheat on him because she must remain faithful to him. This is ridiculous! Tom is so egotistical it makes me sick. I mean, don't get me wrong, Daisy is not justified in her act at all. She is not exempt from the act of cheating in any way, but Tom needs to wake up and smell the coffee here. He needs to look in the mirror. I guess that he did not realize how hurtful it was to cheat on his wife until she did it to him. No one would have been in this mess at all, though, if Daisy would have remained faithful to Gatsby in the firstplace. If she would have remained faithful to her promise to him, then she would have married Gatsby and Tom would not have cheated on her. However, since she did not remain faithful to Gatsby, it almost gives her a taste of her own medicine when her husband does not remain faithful to her. Obviously, I feel bad for her because waiting for someone can seem hopeless, but still.

No comments:

Post a Comment