Monday, April 23, 2012

The Great Gatsby: It's Ranting Time

"He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it that you may come across four or five times in life" (page 52).

I honestly look forward to this blog every week. I already finished my required three literary analysis blogs, so now I can just rant about my own personal thoughts about the book and speak my mind. I thoroughly enjoy stating my own opinion on things, so I don't object. Okay, thoughts so far.... Where to begin? Where to begin? Let's start with this new set-up of blogster. Um, I don't like it. I logged on to do my blogs and was very confused. It's nice, I guess. But it's all contemporary and makes me feel like I'm typing a blog for NASA or something. It's too futuresque for my taste. Not a fan.

Okay, okay. I should probably get to my ranting about the task at hand. But you have to admit: this new setup is weird. Back to writing my blog. I honestly kind of like this book. I really enjoy books that have been set in the 1920's. It really is interesting and even though it is set in this era, I believe that this book is timeless. Many people throughout time are caught up in material possessions. Honestly, I thought the era that I live in has been the most materialistic. We are constantly tuning out the world with our cell phones, facebooking, tweeting, and the like. We are living in the mindset where we truly care what others think of us. We dress a certain way, we speak a certain way, we act a certain way, etc. Why? Generally, to win the affections of others. Now, I'm being somewhat stereotypical of society because not everyone is like this, but for the most part, society is EXTREMELY materialistic. And it's only getting worse. Why is the world in so much debt? People want more. Houses are getting bigger, cars are getting nicer, and everything is getting more expensive. But nothing is stopping us. Absolutely nothing. This is so similar to the book. Tom and Daisy have an enormous home. Nick feels inadequate because his house is small, but Nick has what he needs. When Nick enters into the lives of Tom and Daisy, he loses sight of who he was. He used to care about what he needed. Now he cares about what he wants. Bleh. These people need to get over themselves and start looking at what truly matters in life. They might have nice things, but they're completely boring underneath their beautiful masks, their lifeless facades.

1 comment:

  1. I feel like you just typed out my exact thought process last night. Anger about the new setup, excitement about finishing my first three blogs and moving on to the fun ones, and deciding that this book is actually pretty darn good! This isn't exactly literally analysis or whatnot, but I just wanted to let you know that your efforts are appreciated! Carry on, my beautiful friend!!

    ReplyDelete