Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Frankenstein: sympathy

"At first I started back, unable to believe that it was indeed I who was reflected in the mirror; and when I became fully convinced that I was in reality the moster that I am, I was filled with the bitterest sensations of despondence and mortification. Alas! I did not yet entirely know the fatal effects of this miserable deformity." (page 80).

When many of us think of monsters or evil beings, the only thing that we want to do is hate them. However, I simply cannot hate this creature. I actually love the creature and everything about it. It is kind and gentle and has an amazing heart. Isn't the creature just like any one of us? The creature just wants one thing: to be loved. We all want that. The creature reaches out to Victor, its creator, the minute the creature is born. And what does Victor do? Victor runs away. The creature is rejected and wanders off on its own. The creature spent years by itself and no one cares for it at all. This is sad. I also find it heartbreaking that the creature cannot even live among the people. He finds and shed to hide in and lives in that. Are you kidding me?! This is just devastating. And does the creature complain? No. The creature shovels people's snow and brings them fire wood. The creature is an amazing being, and people only show it hatred. I honestly feel incredibly sorry for the creature and want it to change the town with its kindness and love. People need to look past people's differences and see people for who they are by their actions and by the motives of their hearts, not their appearances.

No comments:

Post a Comment