Monday, April 23, 2012

The Great Gatsby: Theme (and movie clip from Something Borrowed)

" 'Doesn't her husband object?' 'Wilson? He thinks she goes to see her sister in New York. He's so dumb he doens't know he's alive.' " (page 30)

This book is centered around affairs and secrets. People are getting away with these affairs too. Tom is having an affair. Daisy is having an affair with Gatsby. It never ends. The novel is just one big cycle of forced love. It's kind of sad actually. However, I think that it all has something to do with one of the major themes of the book. In life itself, people have dreams. More importantly, many people want to live the American dream. They want to find the person they are meant to be with and have children and live happily ever after. However, the American dream is not always realistic. Infidelity is realistic though. Love fades and people change. This reminds me of one of my favorite movies, Something Borrowed. In this movie, infidelity is everywhere. The characters in the movie just want to be happy, but sometimes one's character can interfere with another person's relationship. Since human's a weak creatures, cheating occurs and people get hurt. If I had to predict how The Great Gatsby was going to end, I would predict it to go something like this movie. Here is a trailer from the movie to give someone a glimpse as to how the book is similar to this movie.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Chessie. :)

    This comment has little to do with any literary analysis on my part, but I love this movie and I think it relates really well to the book. I imagine Nick as the best friend in the movie that is secretly pining over Daisy, the lead. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love this movie a lot! Hey, Chester :)

    That's actually a really realistic comparison because I feel like with The Great Gatsby, everyone is going to end up sleeping with or being in love with everyone else in the book. (Sort of like 90210.) You're right, this is not going to end well is the promiscuity continues. It'll definitely be entertaining to watch though.

    ReplyDelete