Monday, April 23, 2012

The Great Gatsby: Technique

"I'm glad it's a girl. And I hope she'll be a fool- taht's the best thing a girl can be is a beautiful little fool" (page 21).

Technique is everywhere in this novel. For example, Fitzgerald has Nick speak with many sidenotes. This is to add more personality to Nick and to have him speak in a more personable level. Also, imagery is infused throughout. On page 9, Gatsby's mansion is described with imagery. "it was a factual imitation of some Hotel de Ville in Normandy, witha  tower on one side, spanking new under a thin beard of raw ivy, and a marble smimming pool... " Fitzgerald uses imagery throughout the novel to explain the state of life the characters live in. Irony is also a technique that Fitzgerald uses. For example, on page 21, Fitzgerald scribes, "I'm glad it's a girl. And I hope she'll be a fool- that's the best thing a girl can be i s a beautiful little fool." This is ironic because Daisy is upset that her daughter was born and Tom is no where to be found. The reader can tell that Daisy is upset, but she sarcastically says, "I'm glad it's a girl." Finally, Fitzgerald uses foreshadowing in this novel. On page 26 Nick says, "When I looked once more for Gatsby he had vanished, and I once again was alone in the unquiet darkness." This is foreshadowing that Gatsby will not always be with Nick and Nick will be left alone in a world of darkness and emptiness. I can honestly figure out where this story is going...... Mwahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment