Monday, April 30, 2012

The Great Gatsby: Death

"Myrtle Wilson's body wrapped in a blanket and then in another blanket as though she suffered from a chill in the hot night lay on a work table by the wall and Tom, with his back to us, was bending over it, motionless." (page 146)

I feel like I'm reading Shakespeare here. Everyone is dying. The saying, "Everything happens for a reason" really does relate to this book. Although I was sad about the deaths of Myrtle and Gatsby, it at least allowed the characters to look at themselves and realize that something is not right. Their entire system of being self-absorbed was not making them happy and they needed a slap in the face to get out of their false reality. I also enjoyed the symbolism of death in this book. Not only do the characters die, but some of their hopes and dreams die as well. Tom and Daisy's marriage died due to their infidelity toward each other. Gatsby's past died. Gatsby used to be a man who lived off of nothing and now he is a new man. He made a name for himself. He thought that prosperity would win him happiness. However, I think that this dream died as well. His dream of having Daisy died when she ran off with Tom when Gatsby went to war. Tom's love, Myrtle, tragically died by being hit by a car, and this burst his hopes and dreams of being with her. I almost wonder what would have happened if Tom and Daisy would have gotten a divorce. I know that divorces were not common in this era, but if Tom and Daisy would have broken up, would they have been happy? Would Daisy have been happy with Gatsby or would they just lose love like everyone else? What about Tom and Myrtle? If Myrtle would have lived, and Tom got a divorce, would they be happy together? I almost think not. Because they are all so consumed in materialism, their ability to communicate and show each other affection dwindled away. Love cannot live in this environment. Also, I think that Daisy's name is symbolic and ironic at the same time. The word "daisy" is all about spring and new beginnings. However, Daisy was a cynical character who hurt Gatsby and ruined her new beginning with him by choosing Tom. Tisk tisk.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the line:"I feel like I'm reading Shakespeare here." And even if Tom and Daisy got a divorce I don't think they'd be truly happy. Tom would just spend time with his lady friend in New York City,and Daisy would get attached to the first rich man she could find.

    ReplyDelete