Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Frankenstein: Parallelism

"I left the room, and locking the door, made a solemn vow in my own heart neer to resume my labours; and then, with trembling steps, I sought my own apartment, I was alone...." (page 121).

MWA-HAHA! My last Frankenstein blog! I'm actually kind of sad about that. I really enjoyed this book. Nevertheless, I saved my last Frankenstein blog to be about my favorite topic of this book: parallelism. This is seriously the most epic thing ever if one thinks about the connections between Frankenstein to the creature. I blows my mind! Where to start? Where to start? Okay, I'll start with the quote above. When Frankenstein is making another creature, he is all alone in his laboratory. I find this parallel to the creature because the creature is constantly left all alone. I also find parallelism in the fact that the creature and Frankenstein both yearn to be loved. Frankenstein wants to marry Elizabeth and the creature wants someone of his own kind to be happy with. They both just want that one mate to be with forever. Both would not want anything more. When Victor sees the state that his father is in when his father is dying, Victor says, "Cursed, cursed be the fiend that brought misery on grey hairs, and doomed him to waste in wretchedness.... What then became of me? I know not; I lost sensation and chains and darkness were the only objects that pressed upon me" (page 147) Here, Victor is showing similar traits to the creature. Both want revenge on those who cause them misery. Both lose their own feelings in states of rage and are overcome by darkness when their lives don't go their way. On page 150, Victor says, "I pursued him; and for many months this has been my task." This links back to when the creature was angry with Victor. The creature pursued Victor and wanted revenge. Now, it has come full circle and Victor is pursuing the creature. Victor and the creature are very similar beings. I talked about more in a previous blog last week, but I know that there are more similarities than this. I am just trying to make a point.

Here's where thing become even more mind-blowing. Not only are the creature and Victor similar creatures, but Victor and Walton are as well. This just blows. My. Mind. Okay, get this: on page 158, Walton is writing to his "beloved sister." He writes to his sister often because they are incredibly close. This is similar to Victor and Elizabeth. On page 160, Walton is in deep mourning because he "lost his friend." Victor lost many people in his life, especially those he held closest to him. Victor and the creature are similar beings, but Walton is the same character as Victor. That is why Victor even tells his tale to Walton in the first place. Epic. It all comes full circle in one parallel universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment