Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Chapter 12 Never Let Me Go; Literary Term in use: IMAGERY

"We'd reached a spot where the hedges were high on both sides, and the ground was covered in frozen cowpats, when Ruth suddenly stopped a few steps behind me" (page 144).

Perhaps Kazuo Ishiguro just has a way with words, but I am convinced that he is an expert when it comes to figurative language and imagery. As a reader, I am amazed at how perfectly I can visualize this entire story. The novel is decorated with a contrast between the vivid and vague memories of Kathy's past. Whatever the case though, I can visualize both types of memories. All of the round-about paths at Hailsham and now the Cottages have come to life because of the repeated use of imagery throughout. I feel that the imagery is essential to the readers, but it also is essential to even the plot of the story. I believe that Kathy's memory is central to the plot and theme of the book. However, to get to know and understand these themes, one must be captivated by the storyline and appreciate the imagery mixed into the story itself.

I don't know why, but the image that I have created in my mind of Hailsham is almost like a cold, deserted university. I almost imagine it to be like a school that was once a hospital. Hospitals just feel kind of alien and cold to me. Hospitals give me chills, and this school, in my mind, does not have a warm feel to it. I feel that the grounds of Hailsham are beautiful, just based off of how Ishiguro describes them. But I don't imagine the inside of Hailsham to be comforting at all. However, in the minds of the clones, Hailsham and the Cottages probably seem to be beautiful in and of themselves because they don't know any differently. These places are all these kids have ever known.

No comments:

Post a Comment