Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Chapter 8 Never Let Me Go; Literary Term in use: ONOMATOPOEIA

"I didn't try to keep the triumph out of my voice, and I may even have gone 'dah-dah!' as I brought it out and handed it to him" (page 94).

Although I haven't found many onomatopoeias in Kazuo Ishiguro's novel, I have found a handful so far. Not only does Kazuo have a way with words when it comes to similes, but he also describes his work with onomatopoeias. These just add more depth to his work. I can always visualize his settings and characteristics of the characters and such, but this onomatopoeia just adds so much dimension to the piece. I can hear the sound effect in my head when I was reading. He obviously added this into his literature to give the reader a deeper understanding as to what is going on and to relate his story to the reader in a more personal way. Not only do the characteristics and descriptions grow even deeper as the story goes on, but the emotions run higher as well.

Onomatopoeias are just so lively in my mind. I use them when I speak, but seriously, they are all around me. To me, I feel that the onomatopoeias being incorporated demonstrate that these characters choose to speak and describe things with sound effects. And to me, it just shows that these characters are real. Yes, they are clones, and quite frankly, the clone idea kinda creeps me out. But the fact that they act just like normal humans, to me, seems pretty essential to the plot of the story line. I could be wrong, but the more I'm reading, the more the students seem like people I would meet in everyday life.....

No comments:

Post a Comment