Saturday, June 25, 2011

Chapter 6 Never Let Me Go; Literary term in use: FLASHBACK

"There was the time, for example, when a bunch of us were desperate to go out and practise rounders during break, because we'd been challenged by a group from the year above" (page 63).

 Kazuo Ishiguro incorporates many flashbacks in his novel. However, I believe he does this because it adds to the character of Kathy H. Every page I read, I feel as if I come across something along the lines of "I can't remember exactly what happened but...." Kathy tells the story, trying to remember the days of her past. She seems to struggle a lot with this, but she continues to go back a retell moments from her "golden days." I believe that these stories have something important to do with the plot. Kathy often goes off topic with her flashbacks, but all of her stories seem to be relevant.

Personally, I cannot imagine telling all of these stories of my past. Well, in Kathy's case, being a clone from Hailsham makes her quite the unique individual, but still. I just can get kind of annoyed waiting for Kathy to get to the point of her stories. She CONSTANTLY goes off topic. If I had a nickel for everytime she said, "Anyways.... back to what I was saying....." I would seriously be rich! But the story is told from Kathy's point of view, so she really does have to go back and tell stories from her past. Sometimes, though, she's incredibly boring and her flashbacks can lack substance and purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment