Wednesday, June 22, 2011

First Blog for Never Let Me Go; Chapter 1. Literary Term: EXPOSITION

"My name is Kathy H. I'm thirty-one years old, and I've been a carer now for over eleven years...I'm a Hailsham student....along with Tommy, Ruth, and all the rest of us." (pages 3-6).

 The author uses the literary term exposition in order to get the reader comfortable with the characters, setting, and maybe even the tone of the story. The exposition is an essential part of any story because it allows the reader to get a sense as to what the story is all about. I'm somewhat confused as to what is going on though. There is much talk about Kathy H. being a carer. However, I have no idea what a "carer" is. It seems to me that they are all living in some institution, and they all seem to be very similar beings. The story shifts a lot from being about "carers" and "donors" to the story of Tommy. I'm lost in what the author is trying to convey, but I know that I will be able to comprehend the plot soon enough. I'm kind of confused with the whole story line in general, but hopefully I'm able to follow along what the author is trying to convey. For now though, I am SOOOOO lost. I don't like this book. It's very confusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment