Thursday, June 23, 2011

Thoughts on Chapters 3 and 4 and Never Let Me Go so far....

"I won't be a carer any more come the end of the year, and though I've got a lot out of it, I have to admit I'll welcome the chance to rest- to stop and think and remember" (page 37).

 Carer: this term seems to come up a lot. I have no idea if Kathy, the narrator, is the one being a donor or if she is receiving donations from other people. I also have no idea what they are even donating. Is this boarding school similar to a hospital? Are these "donations" even relevant to the story? I have no idea! In fact, I don't really understand what is going on in this book at all. Okay, so I understand the whole Ruth, Tommy, and Kathy business. However, every time the words "carer" or "donor" come up, I have no idea what the story is referring to. Maybe it is just some British language, but I really do feel as if these terms are crucial to understanding the basic story line. Maybe I just have to be patient, but these terms just do not make sense to me at all. With all the confusion with this, I have mixed feelings for this story. I feel that I would enjoy it more if I knew what was going on with these confusing terms. Or maybe, it's just me.

1 comment: