Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Chapter 18 Never Let Me Go: Thoughts so far...

"Then the clown straigtened, closed up his van and started walking, in the same direction I was walking, several paces ahead of me, a small briefcase in one hand, the balloons in the other" (page 212).

When I first read this quote, I thought of the significance of innocence and how it correlated with this book. Think about it: "a small briefcase in one hand" and "balloons in the other." Isn't this how all of us are? We are all children at the core, just like how the clown is the epitome of representing a child's heart. Okay, so some clowns are creepy and I'm not going to lie: clowns gave me nightmares as a child. But that's beside the point. When we grow older, we are torn between the children we were before and the road that lies ahead. We must force ourselves to grow up, to leave behind the lives we knew before. Then, Kathy goes on to say that the cluster of balloons reminds her of the family she knew at Hailsham and how she's afraid the "balloons" will get separated. Kathy is still living in the past, as most of us are. She just wants to go back to her childhood where she felt safe, where she felt home. She misses her friends, especially how now she is out on her own in the absence of her best friends. Hopefully the boat will reunite everyone and bring back the wonderful memories of Hailsham. They need each other now more than ever, whether the characters want to admit or not. When I think about not wanting to grow up, I think about Taylor Swift. Okay, so Taylor has a song about every part of my life, but this song just fits in with what I'm trying to say. It's called "Never Grow Up."


So maybe I'm biased, but I just love this song. Anything Taylor Swift i just think is awesome. But when I think about it, this song says a lot about the book itself and my life in general. All my childhood I just wanted to be older. I just wanted to fast-forward my life to when I was married and having my own kids. I imagined my dolls were my own children. I just wanted to grow up SO badly. And now that I'm getting older, I miss my innocence. I miss the days that I had nothing to worry about because the older I get, the harder life becomes. Why can't we just enjoy whatever stage of life we are all in? Well, I guess life just doesn't work that way. And even in this story, the main characters look back to their childhood and miss their days at Hailsham. I feel that the song ties in the message of the book very nicely, but again, I'm very biased.

No comments:

Post a Comment