Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Chapter 7 Never Let Me Go; Literary Term in use: SATIRE

"Your whole elbow, it can all unzip like a bag opening up" (page 85).

 For the most part, Kazuo is a pretty realistic author, but time and time again, I notice some humor in between the lines. He's very sarcastic and is not afraid to let this shine through in his characters. I think the satire is to prove that the clones have human characteristics.

 Throughout the novel, children tease Tommy because he just does not seem to fit in. Essentially, it's all very sad for kids to pick on another because of their differences. But I guess, in a way, this is how the real world is. Instead of accepting and appreciating each others' differences, we attack them. We seem to have an intolerance in society towards being different.  I just cannot keep up with the messages in society. People appreciate those who are unique, but they cannot tolerate those who are different. Who cares?! Whatever the case, Tommy is the odd child out at Hailsham. As a reader, I feel sympathetic for Tommy's character. I got picked on in grade school all the time. Instead of being called Chessie LaRosa, kids called me "Cheesy Lasagna." Okay, so it's absolutely hilarious now, but I used to come home from school everyday and just sob. Yes, I was that one little pathetic child. It got to the point where I would bring my spelling words with me to recess and just study them by my favorite tree because I knew that no one would find me there. My teacher did catch me one day, and I had a very long talk with her that day. I found many friends who loved and supported me later in life, but whatever the case, kids need to stop thinking they are superior to other children. Their remarks hurt and can leave scars for those kids for many more years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment