Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Second blog for Never Let Me Go: Chapter 2. Literary term in use: IRONY

"It's all part of what made Hailsham so special- the way we were encouraged to value each other's work and creativity" (page 17).

This quote is ironic because popularity is usually based on athleticism and beauty in most cases of the world. Here, though, popularity is based off of how creative a person is, especially in the "Exchanges" and "Sales." Whatever the case is to distinguish who is the most popular, I find the issue kind of dumb. Why do some people have to be better than others? Why is being popular such a big deal? Why do people make fun of others, especially Tommy? It's just all so petty. We should look and appreciate others for who they are, not at what the look like or what they do. And of course, I this makes me think of a song, and yes, it's High School Musical's  "Stick to the Status Quo."


Okay, so the premise of HSM, and yes I just abbreviated High School Musical is that the entire school is questioning why the most popular boy in school, Troy Bolton, wants to try out for the school musical. Until this movie came out, it was considered uncool to be a part of the drama club. It was considered uncool to express oneself. Now, look how popular Glee and other singing shows are! Creativity is becoming more and more popular, but it still is nothing compared to sports. I think this needs to change in today's society. I want this to change. If creativity is the most important means at Hailsham to succeed, then it needs to be just as important as sports in today's society. I'm not saying I'm against sports- I love them. Well, I love WATCHING them. I'm not athletic at all. But I am saying that we need to be supportive of others and appreciate everyone's gifts and talents.

No comments:

Post a Comment