Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Chapter 1 Brave New World; Literary Term in use: Anthropomorphism

"Cold for all the summer beyond the panes, for all the tropical heat of the room itself, a harsh thin light glared through the windows, hungrily seeking some draped lay figure, some pallid shape of academic goose-flesh, but finding only the glass and nickel and bleakly shining porcelain of a laboratory" (page 3).

Even after reading this chapter, I could tell that this book was going to be much different than the last book that I read. First off, Aldous Huxley decorates his writing with anthropomorphism (aka personification). Personally, I feel that he does this to show that even the inanimate objects have life. The clones are alive, but it seems as if they don't have lives of their own. Maybe that's why he's having other objects come to life. I'm not really sure.

I don't really understand what's going on in this book though. I hate the way this book is written when it comes to sentence structure. The sentences are not even one complete thought! It's just hard to follow. Also, I just find the essential topic of cloning immoral. It kinda makes me sick. Even after reading the reasons and benefits of cloning in this chapter, I still don't recognize the point. Also, I'm having a difficult time identifying the main characters. And they keep speaking of the "identities" of the clones. Personally, that's just ironic in and of itself. These clones don't have identities! They're all raised to have the same thoughts, to live with a similar purpose. Right now, I just don't understand the point of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment