Friday, July 22, 2011

Chapter 17 Brave New World; Thoughts so far.............

"We are God's property. Is it not our happiness thus to view the matter? Is it any happiness or any comfort, to consider that we are our own?" (page 232)

This quote holds much truth to it. As a Catholic, this chapter truly spoke to me. So many quotes that were sprinkled throughout ring true for me. And I completely understand how John feels. He standing up for his beliefs, trying to make others understand his way of life. We do this all the time in our society. We try to have other people understand our point of view because we think that it is correct. I am quite surprised, however, at how calm John is handling this. Because he is a savage, I just thought that he would be angry and persistent that the other party see his side as the correct viewpoint on the situation. Personally, I side with John one hundred percent because I do believe in God. I do believe that we are on this earth to serve him. I don't really understand how a world can be happy without knowing God. This quote just struck me: "God isn't compatible with machinery and scientific medicine and universal happiness" (page 234). This, honestly, is very true. We care so much about ourselves! God has given us all of these resources; He has graced us with knowledge and we use them for our own purposes. All the machinery at This Place could be used to find cures for cancer; rather, they are used for their own personal research in their own messed up world. We need to change the way we see OUR world. We need to stop focusing on material things and turn our viewpoint back to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment