Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Chapter 2 again Brave New World; Literary Term in Use: ANECDOTE

"There was a silence; then clearing his throat, 'Once upon a time,' the Director began, 'while our Ford was still on earth, there was a little boy called Reuben Rabinovitch. Reuben was the child of Polish-speaking parents.....' " (page 23).

The Director seems to be the person in charge at this place. He's always telling the children stories about previous students and things from his own past. So, I guess, in a sense, a personal anecdote from the Director was to be expected. Personally, I enjoy the anecdotes incorporated into the novel because it gives a more relatable spin to the story. It shows that these people are real, even though they're clones. Personally, I don't know what these people are. Yes, they're living and breathing, but I am just trying to wrap my mind around the whole clone concept. They're not REALLY real if they are aren't thinking for themselves, are they? They're forced to see the world a certain way. They're forced to do everything. It's all just kinda weird.

Since we're talking about anecdotes here, I just going to add in my own experience into this mix. When I was little, I idolized my older sister. I followed her around ALL day, and I just wanted to be just like her. However, she kind of controlled the person that I was. My favorite color was aqua, but she would not tolerate that because aqua was my sister's second favorite color (pink was her first). So, she told me my favorite color was going to purple because she hated that color. Because I wanted her to like me, I jumped right up and said, "Yay! I can have purple!" The same went with Disney princesses. My favorite was Belle, but Belle was my sister's second favorite (Snow White was her first choice). Since she hated Ariel, she let me have her as my favorite. When I grew older, I realized that I hated the color purple. I always liked aqua, and I wasn't going to let someone tell me what I could and couldn't like. Looking back on it now, it sounds silly to have my sister pick out my favorite things. Thank God I found my own personality because having someone decide my own fate is just plain dumb. But that's how life is for these clones: people decide their futures and their interest. I just wish that they could be themselves and make their own decisions because that's what NORMAL people do in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment