Monday, July 4, 2011

Chapter 20 Never Let Me Go: thoughts so far............

"I became Tommy's carer almost a year to the day after that trip to see the boat" (page 237).

This part of the book truly reminds me of the movie Something Borrowed. The main plot of this movie is that a girl has basically been in love with her best friend's fiance all of her life. However, the girl never could do anything about it because she was so happy for her friend, even though it killed her to see the entire relationship take place. I don't want to spoil this movie, but I'm just trying to show everyone the connection here. The main character of the movie never knew that her best friend's fiance always loved her, and they start realizing they were meant to be. Well, after Ruth is out of the picture, I just feel that Tommy and Ruth's relationship is like that movie. Obviously, I'm not going to ruin the ending of that movie, but seriously, I just find it hilarious at the connections between these plots. Also, I don't really understand why Ruth isn't being a donor yet. Why has she been a carer instead of a donor? I know that part of it is to take care of Tommy and Ruth, but isn't her purpose in life to donate her organs to other people?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qlMqqc7YdE

Also, I wasn't expecting the vivid detail the author included about Tommy and Kathy when they started becoming more "physical," if you will. I'm happy Tommy and Kathy are together, but some of these descriptions just make me feel awkward. I'm not trying to criticize what the author is intending to say in this book, but seriously! I'm reading this, and I just want to turn the page! This is a way of life, I'm well aware. But it can be described briefly! Perhaps it's just the fact that I was raised watching Disney movies and prefer to watch Beauty and the Beast and other G- rated movies. Yes, perhaps that's it. But wouldn't it be easier to just say, "Tommy and I made love" and then move on to chapter twenty one? Really? I'm glad, I guess, that Tommy and Ruth are together, but I don't like PDA. Those parts of a relationship are meant for those two people, and those two people only.

No comments:

Post a Comment