Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Chapter 6 Brave New World: Literary Term in Use: IRONY

"Bernard... boasting....outbursts of an abject self-pity.... bold... full of the most extraordinary persence of mind" (page 99).

I chose this quote because it shows how normal Bernard is. Seriously: think about it. As humans, we possess all of these traits. We boast about ourselves, but we also drown in self-pity. We want to be accepted, but we're also struggling to find who we are as human beings. I just find it ironic that people consistently are saying this about Bernard: "I do like him, but I wish he weren't so odd." Isn't it weird that people think Bernard is odd? If Bernard lived in our society, we would think that he's normal. What is up with this world? Huxley has created a utopia of a society, but I'm still trying find out what the point of this "institution" is. Was this perfect world created within the society for research? For cleanliness sake? For corruption? I don't understand why the clones are so essential to this society because honestly, clones are just additional. We don't NEED them. We can live perfectly fine without them. Why do we all want to be the same? Why CAN'T we be different? Why are there clones? The questions keep swarming around my brain as I read this novel, and I'm still trying to understand the meaning behind it all. I'll figure it out, I'm sure. At least I'm starting to understand and follow along, but I'm still lost in the basic purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment