Monday, July 4, 2011

Chapter 22 Never Let Me Go: Thoughts so far.....

"When I watched you dancing that day, I saw something else. I saw a new world coming rapidly. More scientific, efficient, yes. More cures for the old sicknesses. Very good. But a harsh, cruel world. And I saw a little girl, her eyes tightly closed, holding to her breast the old kind world, one that she knew in her heart could not remain, and she was holding it and pleading, never to let her go" (page 272).

Most people when they read this quote won't find much significance out of it. Most people, I'm guessing, are just trying to get this book read. But I'm not like most people. I like to analyze, so I will. Most people would not realize that this quote basically describes the entire book in and of itself. Well, guess what? It does. This "new world" described in the quote is the future awaiting us each and every day. Sometimes I just want to travel to the future to see what the hospitals look like, to see what kind of cars we have, to see if there are time machines and better phones and computers. Okay, so now I'm turning into the author and am getting a little sidetracked. But seriously, this new world of better technology and knowledge is just around the corner. The "little girl" in the quote represents the innocence that each of us have within us. The world continues to turn faster and faster, and we just have to sit back and let it happen. The warm feelings of the past that make us feel at home are slowly escaping from our grasp. Our innocence is not ready for this new world. Our innocence isn't ready for the future, in a sense. As curious as we are about the future, something inside of me is shielding my eyes. I'm just not ready for it. I just want to hold onto my dolls and the innocence I had when I was younger. I want the warmth of my past to "never let me go." And perhaps, this is not even what this quote means at all. But when i read it, this is what I thought of.

No comments:

Post a Comment