Thursday, July 21, 2011

Chapter 13 Brave New World; Thoughts so far......

" 'But in the intervals I still like him. I shall always like him' " (page 188).

This quote reminds me of Romeo and Juliet. It's so overdramatic. Again, Lenina barely knows John at all, but she's openly expressing her love. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around this chapter. Both people, I guess, were trying to show the other person how much they cared based on what they do to express love in the context of their own cultures. And both were repulsed at the other person's love. I wanted them to be together, and now all I can think of is "WHAT?!" I don't know. It's just kinda interesting. Lenina kinda reminds me of a girl in an abusive relationship. Girls in abusive relationships always blame themselves for not getting the guy, and then they allow their boyfriends to hit them because the girls feel they deserve it. I don't know, but it's kinda pathetic. I just have a feeling that Lenina is going to keep coming back to John, even though he breaks her heart. If Lenina had any sense, she would fall for John. What he said was so sweet! But maybe I only think that because I understand where he's coming from. I see the world through his perspective. I live in a world where marriage is ultimate symbol of love. We share the same virtues in regards to love. A couple should love each other, get married, and then have intercourse. That's just the way the cycle goes in my mind. I am not a fan of premarital sex, and I too was appalled by Lenina's acts. But then when I saw it from her perspective, it did make sense. Still. I see both sides, but this overdramatic love is deteriorating my brain. Why can't everyone just get along and see each other for the individuals they are? Sigh.....

No comments:

Post a Comment